Essex North Association, Mass.
The Essex Middle Association, which would later become the Essex North Association, was formed in Rowley, West Parish (now Georgetown) in 1761. Noteworthy members included Rev. John Cleaveland, who ministered Chebacco Church in Ipswich for 52 years. The Association weighed in on various social issues throughout its long history, including slavery and the temperance movement. In 1840 members attempted, via written correspondence, to sway the Charleston Union Presbytery, SC against the practice of slavery, but were met with a terse rebuttal.
The Essex North Association merged with the Essex South Association and later the Andover Association to eventually become the Northeast Association within the Massachusetts Conference of the United Church of Christ.
Early historical information from Contributions to the Ecclesiastical History of Essex County, Mass.
This single bound volume comprises meeting minutes, the association's original articles of agreement, a chronological listing of members accepted, and a list of committee members and clergy. It also contains a list of interview questions for the admission of new clergy, focusing on details of scripture and theology.
Special ThanksCouncil on Library and Information Resources, through a Digitizing Hidden Collections grant.
Any views, findings, conclusions, or recommendations expressed in this resource do not necessarily represent those of the Council on Library and Information Resources.