Topsfield, Mass. Congregational Church
The Congregational church in Topsfield was founded in 1663 under the ministry of Rev. Thomas Gilbert. No records exist from this early period, until those kept by Rev. Joseph Capen from 1684-1742. Congregants constructed a meeting house on the Topsfield common in 1703. This building was replaced twice subsequently, in 1759 and 1842. The church continues to serve the community today as the Congregational Church of Topsfield, a member of the United Church of Christ,
The original manuscripts in this collection are owned by our project partners, the Phillips Library at the Peabody Essex Museum. They consist of two bound volumes of church records, encompassing the period from 1684-1869. These include meeting minutes, admissions and member lists, and listings of baptisms, marriages, and deaths. For additional information please see the Phillips Library finding aid.
This loose collection of church records kept by Rev. Joseph Capen during his tenure at Topsfield includes admissions, member lists, baptisms, marriages, and a chronicle of events and meetings.
This bound volume includes lists of baptisms, deaths, marriages, admissions, and church meeting minutes.
Special ThanksCouncil on Library and Information Resources, through a Digitizing Hidden Collections grant.
Any views, findings, conclusions, or recommendations expressed in this resource do not necessarily represent those of the Council on Library and Information Resources.