Stoneham, Mass. First Congregational Church
The town of Stoneham, previously known as Charlestown End, was incorporated in 1725. A vote in 1726 provided for the building of a 1,440-square-foot meeting house. First Church itself was not founded until July 1729. Their first pastor was Rev. James Osgood who was called in October 1728 and ordained and installed in September 1729. Osgood served until his death in 1746 and was replaced by Rev. John Carnes. John Searl succeeded John Carnes in 1758/59, followed by the ordination of John Cleaveland in 1785. Cleaveland's ministry began amicably and he continued in the town and church's favor until the death of his wife in 1793. An ecclesiastical council called late September 1794 dissolved Cleaveland's relationship with the town and church. Several pastors were called after Cleaveland. The church continues to hold worship in its third meetinghouse today.
This collection contains the early records of First Congregational Church Stoneham. Included are church records of meeting minutes, vital statistics, and membership rolls; parish and financial records, including salary and capital expenses; and documents created by ministers who served the church, including commonplace and account books from James Osgood, and sermons from an unnamed minister, most likely John Stevens who served in both Stoneham and Haverhill.
For further information, please consult the finding aid.
This volume is James Osgood's "commonplace book". It includes daily diary entries, financial notes, correspondence, a reading list, and birth records.
This volume includes meeting minutes, a copy of the church covenant, membership lists, births, baptisms, marriages, deaths, admissions, a confession of faith, and correspondence. Also included are extensive records of the dispute between Rev. John Cleaveland and the town of Stoneham leading to his dismissal by advice of ecclesiastical council.
A full transcription of this volume is available.
This volume includes meeting minutes, correspondence, admissions, dismissions, deaths, excommunications, membership lists, baptisms, births, marriages, confessions, ecclesiastical council records, financial records, disciplinary cases, covenant, and a list of apostle deaths.
A full transcription of this volume is available.
This volume is comprised of marriage, death, and baptism records. There is also a record of a bequest to the church and congregation.
This volume includes pew sales and deeds; sales of parish property; records of the meeting house fire in 1840; construction, dedication, and enlargement of the new meeting house; and lists of dismissions and admissions. The first 17 pages of the volume are an index added into the volume at a later date.
This volume includes meeting minutes, committee reports, correspondence, Parish Society member dismissions, parish office appointment records, financial records, and warrants for parish meetings. There are also records pertaining to the replacement of the meeting house bell, including financial records and a list of subscribers.
This volume is comprised of meeting minutes, meeting warrants, pew sale records, financial records, officer and member lists, admissions, dismissions, and correspondence. Also included is a Rev. William Batt's resignation and Rev. D. Augustine's acceptance of the position as replacement, as well as records of his installation. The records end with Rev. Augustine's dismission.
This volume includes financial records of James and Sarah Osgood. James's accounts comprise the first half of the volume, while Sarah's accounts comprise the second half.
This volume is comprised of financial records pertaining to the parish treasury. Records include names of recipients and the purpose of the payment as well as date.
This volume includes financial records such as records of taxes for the support of the parish and pew taxes.
This volume is comprised primarily of financial records of the church and its subscribers. Also included are committee reports and notes on church finances, including an assessment and mortgage for the parsonage.
These are 14 sets of sermon notes. Each sermon is handwritten in a separate pamphlet. Most pamphlets are bound in string. Sermons are unattributed with multiple dates and locations, indicating reuse by the pastor. Sermons are listed here chronologically and titled by the biblical citation of each sermon.
- Psalm 116:7 – first preached July 1, 1798
- Luke 24:30 – first preached August 14, 1803
- Isaiah 8:17 – first preached April 29, 1804
- Sermon with no citation – first preached January 4, 1807
- Zachariah 1:5 – first preached February 12, 1809
- Acts 9:6 – first preached December 12, 1809
- 1 Peter 5:7 – first preached October 3, 1813
- Philippians 4:8 – first preached May 23, 1819
- Ecclesiastes 8:5 – first preached January 2, 1820
- 2 Peter 1:1 – first preached July 1, 1821
- Philippians 1:23 – first preached December 7, 1823
- Deuteronomy 32:5-6 – first preached April 1, 1824
- Jeremiah 21:8 – first preached January 22, 1826
- Ezekiel 37:11-13 – first preached December 28, 1827
Special ThanksNational Endowment for the Humanities: Exploring the human endeavor.
Any views, findings, conclusions, or recommendations expressed in this resource do not necessarily represent those of the National Endowment for the Humanities.