Ipswich, Mass. South Parish
Ipswich, first known as Agawam, was settled by John Winthrop and his twelve companions in 1633 and in 1634 the town was officially incorporated. The towns of Boxford, Hamilton, Essex and Topsfield were once part of Ipswich. The First Parish built its first meeting house in 1634. The South Church of Ipswich separated from First Church in 1747. It remained its own entity for 175 years until 1922 when the two rejoined. After the merger, they legally became known as The First and South Congregational Church. It continues to thrive today as First Church in Ipswich, MA, UCC.
For more detailed information about the collection, see the archival finding guide.
This volume contains records both from the South Parish Church and from the meetings about the more secular activities of the parish. It includes administrative, financial, and church membership records, as well as information about parish affairs, real estate, and the community’s relationships with other parishes in the town.
The volume is largely a church history of the South Church from 1747 to 1850. The volume includes the South Church covenant from 1747, and meeting records regarding church and member issues. It contains lists of vital statistics such as births, baptisms, admissions, and marriages along with deaths that are arranged by year. The volume also contains lists of male and female members of South Parish.
Special ThanksNational Endowment for the Humanities: Exploring the human endeavor.
Any views, findings, conclusions, or recommendations expressed in this resource do not necessarily represent those of the National Endowment for the Humanities.