Ipswich, Mass. First Parish
Ipswich, first known as Agawam, was settled by John Winthrop and his twelve companions in 1633 and in 1634 the town was officially incorporated. The towns of Boxford, Hamilton, Essex and Topsfield were once part of Ipswich. The First Parish built its first meeting house in 1634. Over the centuries, the congregation has inhabited six different buildings, and spawned four daughter churches. It continues to thrive today as First Church in Ipswich, MA, UCC.
For more detailed information about the collection, see the archival finding guide.
The earliest surviving volume contains records both from the First Parish Church and from the meetings about the more secular activities of the parish. It includes administrative, financial, and church membership information, as well as chronicling the development of the town as a whole.
The volume largely contains lists of vital statistics for church members, such as births, baptisms, marriages and deaths. It also contains excerpts from other sources regarding church histories.
This volume contains warrants (notifications) for parish meetings and summaries of those meetings, which were called to discuss matters relating to the church itself and the town of Ipswich as a whole. Subjects include ministerial salaries, burial grounds, singing, real estate, and pew allocations.
Special ThanksNational Endowment for the Humanities: Exploring the human endeavor.
Any views, findings, conclusions, or recommendations expressed in this resource do not necessarily represent those of the National Endowment for the Humanities.