Boylston, Mass. First Church
The North Precinct or Second Parish Church of Shrewsbury, Massachusetts was established in 1742, with Rev. Ebenezer Morse ordained as its first pastor in 1743. This parish remained a part of Shrewsbury until 1786, when it was established as the town of Boylston and its church became the Congregational Church of Boylston. The volume below consists of a handwritten record of church admissions, baptisms and marriages spanning 1743-1791 and compiled by Rev. Morse, who was ultimately dismissed from Shrewsbury in 1775 because he refused to halt public prayers for the British government. The last page includes records concerning Rev. Morse's family.
The original manuscripts in this collection are owned by our project partners, the New England Historic Genealogical Society. Further information about the collection can be found in the NEHGS catalog.
This volume contains records of the beginning when it was the Second Church of Shrewsbury, Massachusetts and continuing into the period when it became the Congregational Church of Boylston. The early records were compiled by Rev. Ebenezer Morse, the church's first pastor. It includes church meeting minutes, admissions, baptisms, and marriages. The last pages of the volume include the records of Rev. Morse's family.
Cotton, Ward. Correspondence — digital materials