Medway, Massachusetts. First Church of Christ. Records, 1730-1876.
Originally named Boggastow in Nipmuck Territory, then part of Medfield, Medway was settled in 1657 when an increasing number of colonists settled the land west of the Charles River. The settlement grew enough that by 1712 the Massachusetts General Court was petitioned to create a separate town; Medway was incorporated on October 25, 1713 and the decision to immediately build its own church was made at town meeting on November 23, 1713.
Until the church's construction was finished, services were held by Reverend David Deming at Peter Adams's house. The Church of Christ, later known as First Church of Christ, was organized on October 7, 1714. A subscription, led by Jonathan Plimpton, raised a noon house in 1730. In 1749 the first meetinghouse burned. In 1748 Medway divided into eastern and western precincts with First Church of Christ in the eastern precinct and Second Church organizing in 1750 in the western precinct. A large undevelopable tract of land known as The Black Swamp divided the two. The section known as East Medway separated in 1885 to form the town of Millis; First Church of Christ Medway is physically located in modern day Millis, Massachusetts.
Scope of Collection
This collection contains the records of the Christ of Church in Medway, Massachusetts, though the earliest records are no longer extant. This collection contains the early records of the church, including meeting minutes, sermons, a relation, disciplinary records, ministerial wages, and ecclesiastical council proceedings.
The just expectations of God, from a people, when his judgments are upon them for their sins. Shewn, in two sermons, on Deut. XIII. 11. Preach'd at Medway, on a day of publick fasting and prayer, April 23, 1741. Preached by Nathan Bucknam 15.0.6 5621 BRE-CAR
The biographical sketches of prominent persons, and the genealogical records of many early and other families in Medway, Mass., 1713-1886: illustrated with numerous steel and wood engravings. T M46.9B
The History of Medway, Mass. 1713-1885 by E. O. Jameson T M46.9J
A farewell discourse to the First Church and society in Medway. : Delivered March 17th, 1793. by Benjamin Greene 15.0.5 5621 GA-HOL
Millis, MA : First Church. 17.11.1 M62.27 FIRC
Sermons and the volume are arranged chronologically according to earliest date; loose materials are grouped by Church Records and Disciplinary Cases, and then arranged chronologically. Digital arrangement reflects physical arrangement. Where there are more than two (2) blank pages in a row, only the first and last have been digitized.
|Two items; both sermons, Job: 21-27 and Timothy: 2.1, are written in multiple hands and delivered on a variety of dates and locations.|
|Ten items; these records contain meeting house expenses (including a subscription for the construction of a noon house meet on the Sabbath), the confession of faith of James Peniman, correspondence, and records discussing ministerial salary.|
|Disciplinary Cases||undated; 1743-1808||B1/F3
|Five items; these records are about disciplinary cases in Medway during this period. During the colonial period, the local church often functioned as the legal authority in matters of morality. Punishment in such cases usually consisted of censure — a temporary restriction from attending services and participating in church business — until the guilty party made a formal confession or request for forgiveness. Of particular notes is the case of David Pond of Wrentham who struck a pitch, created a disturbance was excommunicated from his church, and requested admission to First Church in Medway.|
|1 item; Volume transcribed in 1876 from earlier records, approximately 1772. The volume contains the Articles of Covenant and numerous empty pages.|