Medford, Massachusetts. Mystic Congregational Church. Records, 1847-1978.
The Mystic Congregational Church as well as the Mystic Society was formed in 1847. In 1874, Mystic and First Trinitarian, also called the Orthodox Church, merged and the meeting house was rededicated in 1876. The congregation closed in 1978. While several members of the Mystic Church joined West Medford and provided significant financial support, there is no record in the West Medford annual reports of a merger between the two churches.
List of Ministers
|Abner B. Warner||1847-1853||George M. Butler||1904-1917|
|Jacob M. Manning||1854-1857||Cyrus Richardson||1917-1918|
|Elias Nason||1858-1860||Thomas C. Richards||1918-1928|
|E. P. Hooker||1861-1869||Geroge W. Hylton||1929-1939|
|Solon Cobb||1869-1874||Albert A. Madsen||1940-1945|
|Charles H. Baldwin||1875-1881||Charles L. Atkins||1945-1950|
|Theophilus P. Sawin||1881-1886||James E. Hawkins||1950-1956|
|James. L. Hill||1886-1894||Ward A. Knights, Jr.||1956-1959|
|John Barstow||1894-1900||Harold L. Arends||1959-1978|
Scope of Collection
This collection is contains meeting minutes; Sunday bulletins and programs; correspondence; histories; clippings; photographs. There is a comprehensive run of records from 1847-1962 in bound ledgers, which contain annual and regular meeting minutes, membership for the church. In the history folder, there is a script that accompanied lantern slides, but the slides were not included when the collections were donated. However, the script was retained since it relates to the history of the church.
Medford, Mass. Mystic Congregational Church local history file, 17.11.1 M46.73 MYSC
The collection is arranged in chronological order.
|Histories of the church||1922, 1927, 1978||B1/F3|
|Newspaper clippings||1922, 1940s-1960s||B1/F4|
|Programs and events||1909-1962||B1/F6|
|Sunday bulletins and newsletters||1895-1962||B1/F7|