Mattapoisett, Massachusetts. First Congregational Church. Records, 1736-1886.
Mattapoisett was gathered as the Second Precinct of Rochester by an act of the Massachusetts General Court in June 1736, though the village did not become a separate town until 1857. The first meetinghouse was constructed in 1737. The early years were contentious, as congregants disagreed over everything from who to accept as their pastor to the propriety of singing "by rule" (using hymnals that include musical notation) and instrumental accompaniment.
The original building was lost in the "great gale" of 1815. The congregation met at the town's schoolhouse for a time until its new building was constructed. Due to a strong revival movement, they soon outgrew this building, and moved to yet another new structure in 1842. After the town was incorporated, the church officially became the First Precinct in Mattapoisett in 1860, and later simply Mattapoisett Congregational Church. Some portions of the records refer to the church as Rochester Second.
Scope of Collection
These ledgers contain the early records of the church. Included are records pertaining to membership records, baptisms, and marriages, church meetings and ecclesiastical councils, administrative and financial records of the church.
Ivory Hovey papers, 1776. MS0897
Mattapoisett, MA : First Congregational Church. 17.11.1 M43.26 FIRCC
Records are contained in five (5) volumes. Volumes are arranged by date. Volumes 1 & 2 are duplicated on one microfilm reel as well as digitally. Digital duplicates are available online. Volumes 3-5 are not duplicated in microfilm or digital formats.
|Clerk's records||1736-1855||Volume 1|
|Reel 1 of 1|
|These records contain primarily membership records, including admissions, dismissions, baptisms, and marriages. It also has minutes of church meetings and ecclesiastical councils, particularly when the topics discussed pertain to the conduct of church members.|
|Precinct meeting records||1792-1843||Volume 2|
|Reel 1 of 1|
|This volume contains the administrative and financial records of the church. Since the precinct of Mattapoisett was formed more than a century before it was incorporated as a distinct town (in 1857), the records do refer to the church as Rochester Second.|
|Clerk's book||1858-1893||Volume 3|
|Clerk's book||1887-1957||Volume 4|
|Clerk's book||1894-1923||Volume 5|