Belmont, Massachusetts. First Congregational Church of Waverley. Records, 1861-1962.
According to the Society minutes (folder 1, box 1), Rev. Charles Jones , Daniel Deshon, John Taggard, John Sylvester, Sarumus Gates, William Lowry, Frank Cottle, W. A. Blodgett, Mr. Greene, and Mr. Harrington met to establish a new congregation. The society formed in 1861, which is when the record book starts. The church was not officially established until 1865.
The only history available about the church within this collection is kept in with the anniversary material, written in 1979 by the then-historian.
The First Church, as it was established, essentially closed in 2002 when it merged with the Senuri Korean Church, which shared space at 471 Trapelo Road. Senuri had a separate listing in the UCC Yearbook for a few years, then in 2003 was listed as First Church Waverley-Senuri, however only had 35 members after previously having 115. After 2010, the church called itself All People's United Church. That congregation closed its doors in late 2012, sold the building and property to a developer, which then demolished the church in early 2013. Copies of newspaper articles about the sale and demolition are in the collection folder for this church.
List of ministers
|J. W. Turner||1866-1873|
|J. L Ewell||1874-1878|
|William H. Teel||1878-1883|
|George P. Gilman||1883-1906|
|Charles A Bidwell||1906-1943|
|A. A. Brown||1943-1945|
|Charles W. Havice||1945-1981|
|P. L. Duhamel||1983-1985|
|S. L. Thompson||1992-1997|
Scope of Collection
These are the remaining church records of the First Church of Waverley, Waverley being a sub-set of the town of Belmont. The most significant record is a ledger book of the Society, 1861-1885. The majority of the records date from the early 20th century, from a few of their auxiliary groups. The most recent document is a presentation from the historian, Mrs. Herbert H. Jaynes in 1979. No dedicated vital statistical records were kept.
A list of records represented are: ledger from earliest years of the church, a page-a-day diary from 1866, auxiliary club records, anniversary celebrations, photographs, Sunday school teachers' meeting ledger, programs for special occasions and Sunday service.
There is no formal series listing, given the brevity of the collection. Church records are first, followed by auxiliary clubs and Sunday school. Programs and photographs are last.
Detailed Description and Container List
|Folder 1||Society Minutes, Records||1861-1885|
|Folder 2||Diary, page-a-day, no known author||1866|
|Folder 3||Church records|
|Folder 4||Congregational Brotherhood Records||1922-1923|
|Folder 5||Congregational Brotherhood Records||1923-1930|
|Folder 6||Mother's Club Daybooks (2)||1938-1962|
|Folder 7||Sunday School Teachers' Meetings||1921-1925|
|Folder 1||Anniversary Celebrations, Dedications, 50th -100th|
|Folder 2||Photographs||early 20th century|
|Folder 3||Ladies Aid Annual Fair Programs||1922-1956|
|Folder 4||Sunday Program|